ANNUAL COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS
Attention: Class of 2021 Delta County Seniors! Sorry, but our deadline has now passed for accepting applications for this year's generous $1,000 Escanaba Rotary Club Scholarships. We will be announcing the winners shortly!
Each recipient will receive $1,000 in their first year of college or trade school. The applications will be judged on the quality of the applicant’s essay about “Service Above Self” the Rotary motto.
Deadline for accepting applications was April 1st, 2021. Mail to: Escanaba Rotary Club, Attn: Scholarship Committee, PO BOX 821, Escanaba MI 49829.
Your application needed to BE POSTMARKED by April 1st to be considered.
Please don't procrastinate - get it in early and relax on spring break! We have had applications received after the deadline which is unfortunate, as those late applications will NOT BE CONSIDERED!
See your guidance counselor or download the application form below at the bottom of this page.
NOT A SENIOR? Hey Freshman, Sophmores, and Juniors, check out what we have to offer you below, and on our "About Us and Rotary" tab above! The Escanaba Rotary provides AMAZING LEADERSHIP opportunities for summer and school-year foreign exchange programs.
LOOKS GREAT ON A COLLEGE APPLICATION AND JOB RESUMES!
HIGH SCHOOL STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP
However, it is not to late to apply for another type of scholarship - would you like to live and study abroad, and have most of the expenses paid for by your local Rotary club?
Deadline to apply for our $24,000 Study Abroad Rotary Youth Exchange Scholarship is July 1st. If interested in living 9-month overseas in a "school year" immersion, or a short-term 4 week summer exchange, please drop a note to any Rotarian, or on our "Contact Us" section of the website, and we will have someone get back to you to discuss this wonderful opportunity!
HIGH SCHOOL WEEKEND LEADERSHIP RETREAT
We also offer a fall leadership weekend (Fri-Sun) retreat in northern Wisconsin for 9th-11th graders. Ask any Rotarian for more information, click on the link below, or send us an email!
Looks great on college scholarship applications and you will learn life-long team building and leadership skills, not to mention making a bunch of new friends and having a ton of fun!
GLOBAL GRANT GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP ($30,000)
The Rotary Foundation funds scholarships grants administer by Rotary Districts. The Rotary District 6220 Global Scholar Program provides $30,000 scholarship awards for graduate studies outside the USA.
REQUIRED AREAS OF FOCUS
In anticipation of The Rotary Foundation’s (TRF) 100-year anniversary in 2017, the TRF Trustees set out to develop a plan to move the foundation toward its second century of service. The plan, called the Future Vision Plan, focuses TRF-funded programs to specific areas where they will have the greatest impact by addressing priority world needs that are presently most relevant to Rotarians.
As a result, to be eligible for a Rotary District 6220 Global Grant Scholarship, applicants must have a background, intended graduate studies and future career plans related to at least one of the following focus areas:
- Peace and Conflict Prevention/Resolution
- Disease Prevention and Treatment
- Water and Sanitation
- Maternal and Child Health
- Basic Education and Literacy
- Economic and Community Development
Global grant scholars plan to pursue a career in an Area of Focus, and their graduate-level educational goals should support this career interest. Pursuing a career in an area of focus means the scholar has a long-term commitment to measurable, sustainable change. A candidate’s previous work or volunteer experience, academic program, and career plans must be strongly aligned with one of the Areas of Focus.
Eligible applicants will have a demonstrated record of high academic achievement; a reasonable level of proficiency in the language of the region of study; excellent leadership skills and potential; a proven record of success in his or her academic field or vocation; a commitment to community service; well-defined and realistic goals; concrete ideas for advancing within his or her chosen field; and, sincerity about maintaining a lifelong relationship with Rotary after the scholarship period.
Eligible candidates must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Has (1) previous work experience, volunteer experience and/or education; (2) intended graduate degree studies; AND (3) future career plans, that are related to one of the 6 Areas of Focus established by Rotary International.
- Plans to enroll in a graduate level program commencing no earlier than the beginning of the academic year in the fall of 2016 and conclude no later than December 30, 2017 and expend the scholarship funds within 12 months of starting studies.
- Study institution must be located in a geographic area that has a Rotary presence. There are 34,000 Rotary clubs within 530 Rotary districts around the world. Despite this extensive reach, there are some parts of the world that do not have a formal Rotary presence due to security, safety or other issues. For further guidance, click: https://www.rotary.org/en/search/club-finder
- Is NOT (1) a Rotarian; (2) an employee of a club, district, or other Rotary entity, or of Rotary International; (3) the spouse, a lineal descendant (child or grandchild by blood or stepchild legally adopted or not), the spouse of a lineal descendant, or an ancestor (parent or grandparent by blood) of any person who has been in the foregoing two categories within the past three years.
- Currently works in, attends school in, or is a resident of District 6220 (which spans northern eastern Wi. and all but the eastern two counties of the upper peninsula of Michigan). Wisconsin District 6220 area maps or Michigan District 6220 area maps
- Has, or will have, sufficient funds to cover any expenses throughout the scholarship time that exceed US$30,000.
- Will endeavor to participate in a humanitarian project sponsored by the host Rotary club in the study region.
- Will attend an orientation and work with a designated Scholar mentor to prepare for the program before traveling.
- Agrees to report experiences no less than bi-weekly on an Internet blog, throughout the scholarship period.
- Agrees to complete all required reports during and after the scholarship time.
- Agrees to make a presentation about the scholarship experience to at least 2 Rotary clubs within 1 year after the completion of the scholarship program.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION AND AWARD SELECTION STEPS
- Pre-qualification Application to be completed
- For selected finalists: Full Application to be completed
- Finalist, in person (required) interviews
Current Year Global Grant Scholarship Selection Timetable
Scholarship recipient must have proof of admission to a university. The District award of Global Grant Scholarship is subject to final approval by the Rotary International Foundation.
The following items are eligible for funding:
- Travel expenses (as specified in the grant terms and conditions)
- School supplies
- Room and board
- Household supplies
- Language training courses (but not if university admission is contingent on improvement of language skills)
- Expenses incurred before the application is approved
- Furniture, automobiles, bicycles
- Expenses for spouses and dependents
- Housing expenses in the home country during the scholarship period
- Taxes owed as a result of receiving the scholarship
- Medical care
- Personal travel
- Expenses related to Rotary events
Scholars are required to participate in an outbound orientation session before departure. Two options are available, although the first is preferred: Regional, district, or club orientation; or, Online self-orientation.
The scholar will make travel arrangements through BCD Travel, Rotary’s travel partner. By booking through BCD Travel, scholars automatically receive insurance coverage that meets Rotary International’s requirements. This insurance will be in effect for the duration of the study term. Scholars may choose to purchase additional insurance coverage, but it will not be paid for by the grant.
For more information on Rotary District 6220 Global Grant Scholarships, contact:
District 6220 Scholarship Chair
1208 Golf Club Rd.
Wausau, Wisconsin 54403
- 2016-2017 Global Grant Scholarship Promotion flier
- 2016-2017 Global Grant Scholarship Announcement
- 2016 - 2017 Global Grant Scholarship Selection Timetable
- 2016-2017 Prequalification Application (Global Grant Scholarship)
- Rotary International- Areas of Focus Policy Statement—Elements of Successful Scholarships
- District 6220 area map-Wisconsin
- District 6220 area map-Michigan-Upper Peninsula
- Past Ambassadorial Scholars
- Past Ambassadorial Scholar Testimonials
- Previous Global Grant Scholars
- Previous Global Grant Scholar Testimonials
|File Size:||32 kb|